UofL Today: Come test drive our new site

Consult with University Archives and Records Center to salvage wet records

August 5th, 2009

Offices that have wet records from flood waters should contact University Archives and Records Center for advice on salvaging them.

Time is of the essence, said Carrie Daniels, of UARC.

“The more time that passes, the more likely the materials will be beyond saving,” she said.

While it may be tempting to simply destroy water-damaged records, if they have not reached the end of their retention period, the university has a legal obligation to attempt to salvage them, Daniels noted.

“We are available to offer advice about drying and salvaging records of various kinds, so please call before destroying these materials,” she said.

Daniels advised that long-term issues such as mold damage may be avoided by blotting and laying the papers out so they can dry more rapidly.

“We can also help units determine whether a given set of materials is, in fact, eligible for destruction, in which case we can save them the trouble of trying to dry out the records,” she said.

UofL offices can contact UARC via e-mail at recmgmt@louisville.edu or by calling 852-6674.

News Home

Top of Page